Thursday, March 29, 2012

Up on the Roof, Down goes the old

Our 2nd floor tenants here mentioned the ceiling in the kitchen was showing some water damage again after the last big snowstorm. I figured I had already patched that area above the kitchen with lots of tar last year, but apparently to no avail.
I've know since I bought the building that the roof needed to be completely replaced, since much of it was rippled and many of the joints with the parapet walls were tearing.  I made the mistake of hiring some fly by night contractors to put a layer of paint-able rubber membrane on over 5 years ago, and I thought that would hold it for awhile, but the membrane already had started coming off in the same year.  At that same time, I did get some estimates for a 'modified bitumen roof' for about $10K.  Once of the estimators took a sample of my existing roof, and said there were 7 layers of roof, and what looked to be the original gravel roof!
So, obviously, this roof needed to be completely torn off.

I contacted a number roofing contractors, and decided on Cuevas Construction after receiving 6 different quotes.  Mr. Cuevas seemed the most knowledgeable and experienced for the best price.

The used axes to chop up the old roof, pile into large bags, and had a crane from the street move the bags into the dumpster.

A number of floor boards were rotted out from roof leaks

The worst damage was at the end of roof near the gutter.  I think water was pooling up here where the grade was not steep enough.





























I found this a good page to describe TPO roofing vs. the traditional modified bitumen.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Krazy Konnections

After a failed attempt to get the permit plumber to redo the tub valve install, I did it myself today.
Not pretty, my first attempt at joining copper pipe, but no leaks! I used a dry towel under the pipes to check for any dripping after 2 hours.  Thanks to Ed (again) for letting me borrow his MAPP torch.  *HOT*

I had to remove the valve parts completely, do a lot of cutting, and rejoining.  Since the bottom of the center was now too close to the sides, I had to use two 'street elbows' to take a detour into the Tee.

The blue cloth at the bottom didn't have a drop of water after a couple hours.  Both valves were completely open. 

Now the valve trim sits right on top of the tile, no gap (the original problem).