Mounting drawer fronts

I finally had a few days to finish up the bathroom vanity during the holiday break.  The slab drawer fronts had been waiting in my closet for a couple years! :(  I was somewhat nervous about putting these on because if you screw them up, you can't just go back to hardware store to buy another set.  After reviewing a few youtube videos on the subject of attaching drawer fronts, I decided to use the 'double sided tape' method.  You use double sided 3M tape to mount the drawer front to the drawer, double check that its in place (proper distance from other fronts and doors, level, etc.), and then use 1 1/4" screws to secure it to the drawer.  This is the basic idea.  Some details are discussed below.


Before mounting the fronts, I predrilled the holes for the drawer pulls using a drill press.  The drill press makes perfect holes in the right location and straight in.


I used 3mm Tavy tile spacers to mount the drawer fronts.  I had to hold the tile spacers in place while placing the front against the drawer, sort of a pain, but it worked.  It would have been easier to mount these with just wood glue, but I didn't want any glue drip here (like i saw in this video), and I couldn't figure out a way to clamp it after the front was in place.  This is an 'after picture', after screwing the fronts to the drawer from the back using self-tapping screws and mounting the hardware.  I did have to drill the hole in the drawer for the hardware from the front AFTER mounting the front.  The sequence was a bit complicated.


Mounting the false fronts under the sink needed a different strategy.  There was no drawer to mount the front to, so i had to figure something out.  I couldn't mount it to the cabinet panel, there was only a few millimeters of overlap there.  I created some mounting blocks using some spare oak.  I used the Kreg jig to create the pocket holes for the mounting screws.  The mounting screws are also from Kreg, as its part of their system.  The blocks were affixed to the side panel using wood glue and screws.  I used an adjustable square to offset the block from the cabinet by 1mm to match the doors and drawers.  The next day, i was able to mount the false front to the cabinet.

my favorite glue, not Elmer's!



Finished product below.  If anyone has an idea to keep the 'single mount' handles on the doors tight and aligned, let me know.  If you're not gentle with them, the screw comes loose and it twists out of alignment.  I've already tried some





Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts